NRC approves subsequent license renewal for Oconee

April 2, 2025, 7:03AMNuclear News
Duke Energy's Oconee nuclear power plant. (Photo: Duke Energy)

All three units at the Duke Energy’s Oconee nuclear power plant in South Carolina are now licensed to operate for an additional 20 years.

The Nuclear Regulatory Commission announced the subsequent license renewal on March 31, which means the licenses for Units 1, 2, and 3 now expire February 6, 2053, October 6, 2053, and July 19, 2054, respectively. Oconee is the 12th plant to receive SLRs, expanding the life of the plant from 60 to 80 years.

All six of Duke’s nuclear plants in the Carolinas received initial license renewals, but the energy company is seeking additional life extensions for its nuclear units. Oconee is the first to get the green light from the NRC.

“Approval to extend Oconee Nuclear Station’s licenses is a significant milestone for Duke Energy and provides significant learnings to use in completing license applications for our other plants,” said Kelvin Henderson, Duke’s chief nuclear officer. “As we address growth, modernize the fleet, and invest in cleaner technologies, subsequent license renewal helps ensure nuclear energy continues to be a vital part of Duke Energy’s generation portfolio.”

A closer look: Duke’s nuclear fleet as a whole provides more than 50 percent of the energy consumed in the Carolinas.

As part of the license renewal process, the NRC published its final environmental impact statement for Oconee in February, which concluded there are no adverse environmental impacts to preclude a 20-year extension for the plant’s operations. The agency previously completed its safety evaluation report in December 2022.

In January 2025, the NRC’s Atomic Safety and Licensing Board terminated its adjudicatory proceeding on the application, “concluding that no contested matters remained before it for resolution,” according to the NRC. While the board’s decision has been appealed to the NRC, the commission’s rules allow for licenses to be issued while an appeal is pending.

Opposition brought by the groups Beyond Nuclear and the Sierra Club included a protective order request and alleged safety issues at Oconee. A recent response from Duke on the opposition filing states: “The appeal fails to identify any fact or legal argument by Petitioners—not a single one—that the Board failed to consider. . . . That Petitioners simply disagree with those conclusions provides no grounds for reversal.”

Quotable: “Affordable and reliable energy is the key to South Carolina's continued economic prosperity, and nuclear power must play a key role as we work to shape our energy future," said South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster in Duke’s press release.

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R., S.C.) added: “This is very good news for Duke Energy customers. The renewal of the nuclear licenses at Oconee will ensure reliable, nonemitting nuclear power continues to be supplied throughout our state. The Oconee nuclear plant is well run, safe, and efficient, and it has been an invaluable employer to upstate South Carolina. I’m glad it will continue to operate for decades to come.”


Related Articles